HELP! My wife is in love with a MOUSE!

Am I married to an Addict?

I do not consider myself the jealous type, but I must admit, this Mickey character was making me a bit worried! At first I thought nothing of this “little” crush on this little rodent. My love and attention towards her would make ME the main man in her life. Boy was I wrong!! My first clue that things were not going as I planned was when my nickname suddenly became, of all things, Mickey! Now you must understand that God, in his gracious and humorous ways, did bless me with extra cartilage on both sides of my head! Something that was difficult to deal with growing up. So I thought, ok my wife thinks my ears are “cute” and they remind her of her childhood crush. No problem, right? Wrong! I suddenly became “her Mickey”! Not babe, not honey, not sweetie, just…MICKEY!!

I started to wonder who I was being compared to. Who is this big eared character my wife was incessantly talking about? So I hacked into her computer and there it was. In full color! The background screen, the screen saver, the mouse pointer, the darn mouse pad, everything was Disney! That day I started to understand why she would tear up when she would hear the song Good Life by One Republic. I wondered why I had not noticed that all her pajamas had Mickey Mouse all over them. The times she would tell me she had a second father whose name was Walt and I thought, ok I have never seen a picture of her stepdad anywhere! Because I consider myself to be an intelligent man, I quickly came to the correct conclusion that I was indeed married to a Disney Addict which, by the way, is a not so scientifically verified form of addiction according to the folks over at Chip & Co. Although at first she denied having an “addiction” for fear of an all out family intervention, she couldn’t deny that fact that she would completely break down while watching the commercial and singing ” It’s a Holly, Jolly Christmas”. Or when she would say just before going somewhere in the car..”Driver, All Clear! BEEP, BEEP” Things really got weird (not that anything has been normal at this point.) when she started “Disney Speak”. This is the special language Disney addicts use. Yes my wife is not the only person with this affliction. Apparently there are thousands, if not millions out there and not one single support group or MAA (Mickey Addicts Anonymouse) group these people can attend. There is no known cure for this addiction, only a temporary, short lived dose of over the counter medicine. Some of these are.. WDW, MK, AK, DHS, DTD, DL, DCA and EC. Caution: if you happen to know the names of  any of these abbreviations, you may have a predisposition for this type of addiction.

Welcome Home!

So, after 4 plus years of marriage and only one trip to Disney as a family, I have been able to come to grips with my wife’s addiction. I have become something that an addict doesn’t need. I am an enabler! I must admit that this Disney thing is kind of fun. I too have Mickey PJ’s, a few t-shirts and Disney hats. I must admit that her love of all things Disney is quite cute and contagious. I love to see the kid that comes out every time she sings along to a Disney song or how happy she gets when we visit the Disney store. She has also been able to turn her passion into something she can share with the world when she started her own blog Center of Magic. (Shameless Plug) Truth be told, I am one visit away from becoming an addict myself. To that end, I am going to both help my wife with her addiction and give myself a dose of preventive medicine by becoming AP’s (annual pass holders for those non-addicts). We shall keep you posted on the progress of our condition and pray that we will never find a cure. Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust ºoº

I Win!

David
Find More

David

Owner/Editor at Disney Superfans Club
Hello. My name is David. Father of three lovely daughters until I met this wonderful gal with three girls of her own. Just call us the Brady Bunch! I have been married to a Disney Superfan since 2009 and that addiction is contagious. In September of 2013, we became Annual Passholders. we visit WDW many times and have experienced many firsts that I will share here.
David
Find More

You may also like...

37 Responses

1. Kim Allmon says:

Count me in the Disney addict category as well…and I’m proud to admit it! Embrace Mickey – go on, you know you want to…I won’t tell. I’ve successfully converted my husband and I’m working on my grown sons – I’ve got one almost there.

2. Haha, my husband is right there with you! I am a huge Disney fan, as is our 1 yr old.! Cute story!

3. I too am an addict. My wife is coming along, but she resistant at times. She thinks there are more responsible things to do with our money. I am beginning to win her over to the EAR side.

4. Dawn says:

I too, I guess my whole family, is a Disney Addict!!! LOL So wish we could afford to go more often!!

5. kimberly s says:

I’m a total addict too! even though i’ve been fortunate enough to go hundreds of times, each time I drive under the WDW sign i get excited like its my first time ever seeing it 🙂 Chip and Dale have always been my number ones, my boyfriend just has to deal with it, haha 🙂

6. adriana alexander says:

This is so cute and funny! I made my fiance read it and he just laughed. He is also marrying a Disney Addict and has accepted it 😉

7. Christene H says:

My husband feels the same way!

8. Denise N. says:

Thanks for sharing your story! Very cute. I absolutely love everything about Disney and have since I was a kid. Last year was the first time we took our kids ages 7 and 1. We are planning now to go again next year and I just can’t wait. My husband won’t admit it, but I know he can’t wait to go back either!

9. Dana Russell Schroeder says:

Don’t feel too bad. My husband knows your same feelings. But I’m obsessed with Lady and the Tramp!!!! I have more than anyone regarding this movie I bet. And every time we go to Disney we have to eat at Tony’s and get a pic taking with he statue inside.

10. Amy says:

I have become a Disney fanatic as well! My husband and his family are big fans, and they’ve sucked me in!

One of my daughter’s nicknames is “Monkey Mouse” 😉

11. Meagan B says:

Sounds like the best kind of addict to be married to!

12. Beth Wildman says:

I love the mouse too I understand her completely!!

13. Chelsea P. says:

Great post! My hubby thinks I need a therapist for my Disney addiction!

14. Angie G. says:

I too and a Disney addict. My friends have been worried about me for years! As for my husband, I turned him into a Disney addict too!

15. Sarah Lynne Dupree says:

i love mickey

16. Mayra says:

I am a Disney addict! But my hubby is too so all is good.

17. Meranda H says:

Haha, I love it! I wonder if my hubby feels the same way?

18. Aylin Barrios says:

ok ok I am hooked too…But my love it Tigger! WDW, MNSSHP! EFWF!

19. cathy cryan says:

Among friends and family I am known as the Disneyholic and I don’t want any interventions I just want to add more to my group!

20. Jackie says:

Love it!! My husband is also an enabler! He got our passes over a year ago for my birthday and now when ever we tell our friends that we have plans for the weekend they automatically say “Disney?!”. Even he can’t say no anymore!

• Daddy ♥ says:

That’s awesome. We just got our annual passes a few weeks ago and have already gone twice. Once to MK and once to Epcot. And now we are starting to like the pins a little to much! Just getting deeper into this awesome addiction!

21. My husband says the same thing, but he loves the joy it brings to us as a family. So we have been AP members for 16 years now 🙂

22. My husband is an enabler too! He grew up in Southern CA and always went to DL as a kid, and when he moved to VA he started making the 13 and a half hour drive to WDW. I have lived in VA my whole life and would go to Disney all the time with my family. I am obsessed with Disney and I am NOT ashamed to admit it! When my husband and I first started dating he took me to Disney once or twice a year. Then he proposed there, we got married there, received AP’s, and now go 4 or 5 times a year. He’s more than happy to be an enabler to my Disney addiction and I’m more than happy to let him.

23. Teri says:

Yep, My hunny has the same nemesis as you…..must be a club!!! I don’t think he thinks it is to bad though, he is lovin on Ariel!!

24. amanda whitley says:

thats too funny. its easy to get carried away(addicted) to anything disney. its one of those places you never grow old of.

25. Summer says:

I am a total Disney addict!! I was born and raised in So Cal and have visited Disneyland at least once or twice a year as a kid, and even more often as an adult!!

26. Ashley says:

I can’t wait until I can use everything I have read on all of these sites on my honeymoon in a few short weeks!

27. Becky says:

I love this article… so humorous, and I’m sure my husband can relate… our first movie date was to a Disney movie, and not only did we have a Disney-themed wedding reception, but we went to Disney World and on a Disney cruise for our honeymoon.