The Richard Petty Driving Experience at Walt Disney World is Closing!
If you are a fan of Nascar or like me love to drive fast well I have some sad news, The Richard Petty Driving Experience and the Exotic Driving Experience at Walt Disney World are set to close sometime in late June. They are planning to use the land to make way for transportation improvements. However, Disney has not provided details on “what” type of transportation projects are in store for the future of what will always be known as the “speedway” to me.
The Richard Petty Driving Experience opened in 1997. This was one of the best places for the fans of Nascar that just happen to be visiting The Walt Disney World Resorts could drive NASCAR cars or ride shotgun at speeds up to 165 mph. If you are a fan of exotic cars like Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches like I am, but don’t have the pocket book to own one you could drive one of those too! Four years again they introduced the exotic-car experience, where you could drive Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches.
On Wednesday, Petty Holdings informed about 70 employees including instructors, photographers and people who check in visitors about the closure. Only half of those employees are considered permanent employees with 12 that are full-time, and the other half work during special events. However, according to Bill Scott with Petty Holdings, some will have the opportunity to transfer to Daytona International Speedway, which also has the Richard Petty Driving Experience. Disney said it will also try to find workers jobs elsewhere in the resort.
Listed below is the full statement which was released by Petty Holdings:
- “Petty Holdings, operator of Richard Petty Driving Experience and Exotic Driving Experience, confirmed that starting July 1, they will no longer operate their experiences out of the Walt Disney World Speedway. Walt Disney World has plans to use the land to make transportation improvements.
- “Our main focus at this moment is taking care of our staff and preparing them for the upcoming transition,” said Petty Holdings Vice President Bill Scott. “Any reserved guests prior to July 1 will have the same fantastic experience that we have delivered since 1997 at Walt Disney World Speedway.”
- Anyone booked after June 30 for Richard Petty Driving Experience or Exotic Driving Experience can call 1.800.237.3889 to reschedule their experience at any of their 14 locations nationwide – including the location at Daytona International Speedway. Petty Holdings currently has plans in process for exotics and stock car programs in Orlando.”
According to the Orlando Sentinal this is an additional statement by Bill Scott, executive vice president of attractions operator Petty Holdings LLC.
- “Disney has other uses for the property, and they have the right to do that, and we respect that, it’s not without some sadness that we leave Walt Disney World Speedway. We had a great home here.”
You still have time to enjoy The Richard Petty Driving Experience and the Exotic Driving Experience at Walt Disney World before they close.
Latest posts by David (see all)
- ‘Zootopia’-themed expansion coming to Shanghai Disneyland - January 22, 2019
- Disney’s New Riviera Resort Now Accepting Reservations - January 22, 2019
- 2019 Pro Bowl Events Return to ESPN Wide World of Sports at Walt Disney World Resort. - January 22, 2019